Accelerated Learning Opportunities
The Accelerated Learning Opportunities (ALO) Program offers rigorous math, science and humanities high school courses that allow students to exhibit superior abilities. Courses offer exciting and challenging opportunities Hartsville High School students would not ordinarily have.
ALO GSSM courses at Hartsville High School for 2018-19:
- AP Calculus AB (1 credit)
- Applications of Geometry - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Game Theory - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Introduction to Aviation - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Mandarin Chinese I, II, and III (1 credit)
- Neurobiology - Honors (1 credit)
- Nuclear Science - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Organ Systems - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Pre-Engineering - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Robotics Engineering - Honors (0.5 credit)
- Technology and Society - Honors (1 credit)
- Veterinary Anatomy and Husbandry - Honors (0.5 credit)
“We are exposing students to new opportunities, changing their thinking patterns and inspiring them to reach their full potential. In doing so, we are improving the learning environment in ways that impact the entire high school.”
— Dr. Jerome Reyes
Meet the ALO Coordinators
Dr. Jerome Reyes, PULSE coordinator for the SCGSSM
Dr. Reyes joined the South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics as the PULSE coordinator in 2011. In this role, he works with Hartsville High School students in the accelerated learning opportunities program (ALO).
Dr. Reyes received his first bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Morehouse College and his second in industrial engineering from Georgia Tech. He graduated from Georgia Tech with a master’s degree and Ph.D. in operations research. Dr. Reyes is the former associate professor of Mathematics at Norfolk State University, where he taught courses from freshman-level algebra to senior-level Design of Experiments.
“We took some of the brightest students at Hartsville High School, and catapulted them beyond their academic comfort zones. Few things have been as rewarding in my teaching career.”
— Dr. Reyes
Contact Dr. Reyes at the Governor's School, 843.858.2399.
Meet the ALO Instructors
2018-2019 academic year
The Accelerated Learning Opportunities (ALO) program is successful, in part, due to the caliber of instructors from Coker College and the South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics.
- Hongwei Ma, HHS ALO Mandarin Chinese instructor
- Dr. Ye Li, GSSM ALO Mandarin instructor
- Venesa Reyes, ALO Pre-Engineering & Robotics Engineering instructor
- Dr. Kathryn de Ridder-Vignone, ALO Technology & Society instructor
- Dr. Jerome Reyes, ALO AP Calculus instructor